Goodbye 2022 (#19)

In this last week of 2022, team Avinya has continued to be a busy colony of bees. 

Our wonderful Educator team has been reaching out to students who have applied and processing their applications. We continue to have the pleasure of meeting our prospective new students at interviews down in Bandaragama. Our new school building is taking shape and coming together beautifully and our brilliant technology team is continuing to work hard on our new academic management system.

On the operations side, we’ve been continuing to work on uniforms, essential procurement and setting up of our new Academy. The official launch is now less than a month away. All of us are pressing full steam ahead to have the first Avinya Academy in Bandaragama personify itself into a beacon of hope that it is.


This project if not anything has taught us all one thing - nothing is impossible, if you believe (and work like a crazy colony of bees ;))


On a more nostalgic note, I thought of spending some time on our last blog of the year in 2022.

It’s real. We are on the cusp of a new year. 

Where did 2022 go? I ask myself more than once. 


It’s only right that in this last week of 2022 that we take a moment to reflect on what 2022 has been like and how it’s shaped us as individuals as well as a community.


Here’s a thought provoking quote to set the tone as we head on over to exit 2022 in style.


“Maybe this year, we ought to walk through the rooms of our lives not looking for flaws, but looking for potential.”

― Ellen Goodman


For me personally 2022 was a year full of learning about myself, challenging myself and stepping out of my well-defined comfort zone. The fear of failure was very real and almost overwhelming at times. But one of my favorite quotes kept me going.


“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.”

― Thomas Edison


At the start of 2022, I headed into a year being at a crossroads. I had to choose between the known and the unknown. It was probably one of the most difficult decisions of my life and you guessed it right :) I chose the unknown. 


I didn’t think I’d head into 2023 writing a blog every week, being a part of a hard working and committed team to solve a problem that affects a vulnerable group of students every year who get left behind in a complex system without any hope for their future. As I reflect on 2022, it is a privilege to be a part of a brilliant team who has tirelessly given their all to navigate hurdles, challenges and brick walls to find a way to help under-privileged post O Level students through world-class vocational education and training. Our power and energy is focused on uplifting these students to the same competitive heights as their more privileged counterparts. That’s the promise I made to myself at the start of this year when I began to volunteer on this project that was just taking shape. Months went by and my heart tugged at me to step up and fully commit to this great cause.


Finally, let me leave with you three things 2022 has uncovered for me.


1. There’s always something new to learn


Some of you may remember when I mentioned one of my favorite quotes in an earlier blog 

“Learn early, learn often.” - Drew Houston


This has been one of my guiding mantras this year as I rocked my personal comfort zone. 


Have you been so familiar with something that you can literally do it with your eyes closed, hanging upside down and playing cards? 


Well, what I’ve realized in 2022 is that if I’m not learning something new every day then I haven’t grown. Opening yourself up to new experiences, new thoughts and new perspectives helps you grow so much as a person and helps you see the world in new and different ways.


2. Don’t suppress your passion


In 2020, with our backs against the wall, one of the key things I learnt was to reassess my priorities. It was a year of reflection and consolidation, I’m sure for many of us as we stared at a surreal new world every time we looked out the window or watched the news. One of the reflections of that year, I have carried with me ever since and it’s been confirmed time and again in 2022. 


Never, suppress your passion. 


It is who you are, who you are meant to be and no matter how daunting or scary it is, take that leap!


3. Don’t underestimate the power within you


This brings me to my third reflection. Remember Winnie the Pooh?


“You’re braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.” - Christopher Robin


Wise words indeed and words we need to practise (I know I need to), as we head into 2023 and all it holds. 


Make time to get to know yourself and remember there’s a lot of untapped potential that you need to spend time on if you are to achieve all that you ever dreamed of. Most importantly, don’t let go of your dreams. Anything is possible :) See you in 2023!


- Anju




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#51 Triumphant Milestones and Unstoppable Momentum

Vocational Magic in the Works #45

Series 2 Blog #1 - Roses, budding coders and bonding time