GTKY, Inspiring reads and Karapincha (#21)

This week, has been a lot of fun and I will tell you why - very simple, GTKY.  GTKY = Get To Know You. 

That’s exactly what our Educator team has been busy doing apart from interviewing, workshops and onboarding students. They have been spending time getting to know their students. 


We’ve divided the students enrolled so far into classes now and the whole Educator team is working very hard to ensure they have a good understanding of not only their future class but each and every Avinya Academy student! Every student matters!


“Let us remember: one book, one pen, one child, and one teacher can change the world." - Malala Yousafzai


From Educators to our brilliant Technology team - They have been very busy this week. I look up at our whiteboard as I write this and I see a heap of diagrams and then a whole lot of acronyms. Some are now familiar to me MDM (Mobile Device Management) and BFF (Backend for Frontend). There are also new ones I need to learn 🙂 Baby steps I tell myself.

Also, a very warm welcome to Yujith who joined us last week as a Software Engineer. We are very excited to have you on board!


On the Communications side, Lakshman continues to spread the word down in Bandaragama and share our story. He was also interviewed on TV for his new book. You can check it out here: 

https://youtu.be/BiMNrDF2lt4


The Operations side of the hive has been busy too. Nihara’s been swirling in lots of procurement this week and the Technology team has been busy setting up devices and supporting our team of Educators in set up and testing. We have another few weeks to fully test out devices and see how we can adapt them to work best for our unique context. 


It’s a great vibe of learning and fun in the office these days!


“Tell me, and I forget. Teach me, and I remember. Involve me, and I learn.” – Benjamin Franklin


There’s more…



Finally, I shall leave you with some thoughts inspired by early morning nostalgia and karapincha :)


Last year this time, Avinya you were only a dream. I didn’t know your name, I didn’t know your shape, I didn’t know your purpose (well not fully).


A year, 12 months and 365 days later, I know your name, I definitely know your shape and I am wrapped in your purpose.

We all are at Team Avinya!


Why go down this particular road of nostalgia? Well, I was mulling over the theme of this week’s blog and three things weighed on me: Power of Possibilities, Passion, Purpose and Pruning.


The fab Ps :)


  • Possibilities


Did 2022 go by and you wondered where the year went?


  • It did go by very fast but then I did a personal reflection and inventory of the full year. It showcased that it flew by in a whirl of much possibility. With possibility came challenges but what’s life if not for those right?
  • If you haven’t done your own inventory, I’d suggest trying it out. It’s a great reflection exercise. Especially at the start of a brand new year. I think you will find you will be amazed at all the possibilities of 2022 and beyond. 
  • If your inventory isn’t what you’d hoped, maybe it is time to change perspective? I have been there, where I’ve been stuck in a rut and limited by imaginary walls. 
  • The world really is your oyster. Own it!


  • Passion and Purpose


I like to put these two together as often as I can. 


  • When you wake up in the morning, what are your first thoughts? 
  • One thing I learnt the hard way is that your passion and purpose needs to encompass all facets of your life or else you will burn yourself out on one end.
  • Prioritizing the whole you is important and not just the side that is the loudest. It’s like kids in a class, remember the quiet underdog has a lot to offer. I know this well. I was one of them and sometimes still am :) So, am very partial to underdogs ;)


  • Pruning


Ok, here’s where my karapincha story comes in. 


  • My karapincha tree looked like it had definitely had better days and my mum in law visited us the other day and showed me its plight. Her suggestion was for her to have a go pruning it. I nod emphatically and happily as unfortunately green fingers isn’t something I have a lot of (I dabble and if the plant is particularly persuasive it sees the light eventually :).
  • A week later, my karapincha tree is flourishing. So, what’s my point here? Karapincha and fried cashew is a great snack! I digress. 
  • My real point is that sometimes to have possibilities, passion and purpose a little uncomfortable pruning is needed to emerge stronger and better.
  • It’s good to take some time to reflect on pruning needed in your life. Every time I see my karapincha tree I’m reminded of just that :) 


“The secret of change is to focus all of your energy not on fighting the old, but on building the new” - Socrates


That’s it from me this week 🙂


  • Anju



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#51 Triumphant Milestones and Unstoppable Momentum

Vocational Magic in the Works #45

Series 2 Blog #1 - Roses, budding coders and bonding time